Approaching Proficient Project
The Approaching Proficient grant was awarded to the Jefferson Parish Public School System and the Jefferson Early Childhood Collaborative by the Louisiana Department of Education to support improvements to early childhood education quality. This grant, a supplement to the federal Preschool Development grant, will provide teachers at low-performing sites with professional development designed to strengthen teacher-child interactions, classroom instruction and to improve kindergarten readiness.
The Approaching Proficient Project is a tiered approach to professional development for teachers in participating sites. Below is a list of training and coaching services provided, each tier must be completed in the sequence listed.
- Introduction Tier (Tier 1)
- Introduction to CLASS
- A full-day training where teachers learn the basics of the CLASS instrument, domains and dimensions. It is designed to help teachers learn about effective teacher-child interactions, as defined by the CLASS tool, and the ways these interactions help children learn.
- Introduction to CLASS Infant
- Date: Saturday, September 21, 2019
- Time: 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm
- Location: 501 Manhattan Blvd. Harvey, 70058
- Introduction to CLASS Toddler
- Introduction to CLASS Pre-K
- Training Series Tier (Tier 2)
- Making the Most of Classroom Interactions (MMCI)
- MMCI is a training series organized around the Know, See, Do model of professional development for teachers. This training series encourages and supports teachers use of CLASS to explain the impact of specific teacher-child interactions on children's learning, identify effective teacher-child interactions in videos and in their classrooms, and strengthen their teaching practices by integrating more intentional teacher-child interactions.
- Infant/Toddler MMCI Series
- Pre-K MMCI Series
- Coaching Tier (Tier 3)
- MyTeachingPartner (MTP)
- Coaches are trained to support teachers one-on-one, using classroom videos to guide learning and self-reflection.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org